10 Healthy Beach Day Snacks
Savoring a gulf shore beach day is essential to residents and visitors of Naples, Florida. Towels and sunscreen often make the beach bag, but what about the food you eat? With a little planning, you can prepare delicious and nutritious snacks to keep you hydrated and fueled throughout the day.
1. Infuse water with fresh fruit and herbs to keep you hydrated in the humid heat.
2. Freeze grapes the night before for a refreshing cool snack.
3. Local Florida oranges and grapefruit are high in antioxidant vitamin C, promoting healthy skin and a strong immune system.
4. Guacamole is made from avocados that provide essential fatty acids and tomatoes which contain lycopene linked to reduced risk of heart disease and cancer.
5. Sweet and spicy corn dip is simple to make with corn, black beans, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and chili powder.
6. Hummus is a nutrient dense bean dip made with healthy fats from tahini and olive oil.
7. Baked, 100% whole grain pita chips are typically lower in fat and higher in fiber when compared to fried chips.
8. A variety of sliced colorful vegetables are easy for dipping (i.e. summer squash, zucchini, snap peas, cucumber, carrots, peppers, and celery).
9. Turkey wraps with vegetables, part‐skim or low‐moisture cheese, and whole grain wraps or large romaine lettuce leafs are rich in protein and low in fat.
10. Raw, unsalted nuts provide heart healthy unsaturated fats without the added sodium from salt.
Guest contributor Kate Moran, RD, LDN, lives in Naples and is the sports dietitian for the Minnesota Twins, based out of the Twins Academy in Fort Myers, and owner of The Educated Plate LLC. Follow Kate on Facebook and Twitter and find her blog here.