Traditionally, rock shrimp are much smaller than their Gulf shrimp cousins, with the largest of catches weighing in at six inches. Which means rock shrimp is the perfect popcorn shrimp candidate. And there is only one way to truly popcorn that rock shrimp, and that’s with a healthy coat of beer-batter. Turn up the flavor at your next backyard bash with this fried fan favorite.
Beer Battered Rock Shrimp with Honey Mustard
- 6 tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cayenne
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 8 ounces beer, room temperature
- 1½ pounds rock shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Canola oil for frying
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Combine honey, mustard and pepper sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Stir together flour, cayenne, salt, baking powder and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add beer and whisk until smooth.
- Set aside to rest uncovered for an hour.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Dust shrimp with flour then dip shrimp in batter thoroughly coating shrimp.
- Fry 2 to 3 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and honey mustard sauce.
For more rock shrimp recipes, click here.
The official Chef of Florida, Justin Timineri, shares some of his recipes with us. A proponent of eating healthy, locally-grown and harvested produce and seafood, Timineri’s recipes imbue that Fresh From Florida flavor. For more on chef Justin, click here.
Recipes and images courtesy of Chef Justin Timineri and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. For more recipes coming from Timineri’s kitchen, click here.