As a member of the healthful cruciferous family, broccoli boasts a number of minerals and antioxidants.
- Sulforaphane: Many studies indicate that this compound has anti-cancer benefits.
- Folate: A form of vitamin B, folate helps make red blood cells, synthesize and repair DNA and prevent anemia.
Eat it Because
The phytonutrients in broccoli have anti-inflammatory properties, making it perfect for detox diets.
In addition to omega-3 fatty acids, this fruit has monounsaturated fat, potassium, vitamins A, C and E, fiber, protein and over 20 essential nutrients.
- Potassium: An avocado has more potassium than a banana.
- Monounsaturated fats: These healthy fats decrease the risk of heart disease and improve blood cholesterol.
How to Incorporate
The recommended serving size is 1/5 of the avocado, or one ounce; this contains 50 calories and all of the vitamins and minerals.
Try This: Broccoli and Avocado Soup, by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
|Marry two super foods, broccoli and avocado, with this recipe. Photo by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services|
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup croutons
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place a medium-sized stock pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to the preheated pan. Add onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until translucent.
- Add broccoli, vegetable broth and milk to the pan. Reduce heat and bring to a simmer. Cook ingredients until the broccoli is just crisp-tender. Add broccoli mixture to a blender with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the avocado and spinach to the blender as well. Make sure not to fill the blender more than half full at a time. Carefully pulse the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Taste soup and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Return soup to pot and heat back up to serving temperature. Garnish soup with croutons and Parmesan cheese.