In a Pretty Pickle
Chef John Welch | Avenue5
Green and white asparagus tossed in a Champagne vinaigrette, with egg, anchovy pesto and julienned pickled vegetables, including red onions, carrots and red bell peppers.
Photography by Vanessa Rogers
Asparagus, Egg & Anchovy Pesto Salad
For one salad:
- 3 green asparagus, blanched and shocked in ice water
- 3 white asparagus, blanched and shocked in ice water
- 1 egg, boiled for 8 minutes and shocked in ice water
To compose salad, plate by tossing asparagus in champagne vinaigrette (see recipe below).
Shell egg and slice in half. Plate as shown in picture with pickled vegetables (recipe below) and anchovy pesto (recipe below).
- 1/4 cup, red onion, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup, cucumbers, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup, carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 1/4 cup, Red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1/4 cup, Pearl onions
- 2 cups, White wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Mustard seed
- 1/4 cup, Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp, Peppercorns
- 1 cup, Sugar
- 2 Tbsp, Salt
- 2 Tbsp, Thyme chopped
Simmer vinegar sugar and salt together until sugar dissolves. Pour hot liquid over remaining ingredients and chill. Yields 2 cups; serves 8.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 2 each white anchovies chopped fine
Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper. If using immediately, add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese, combine with chopped white anchovies.
- 1 cup, canola oil
- 1 tbsp, blended olive oil
- 2 tbsp, minced garlic
- 1/2 cup, Champagne vinegar
- 1 tbsp, tarragon
- 2 tsp, honey
- 2 tbsp, dijon mustard
- 1 tsp, whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp, diced shallots
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients together excluding ½ vinegar, gradually add the oil making a strong emulsion, alternating between the vinegar and the oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For more springtime salads, click here.