With such a mild taste, rock shrimp makes the perfect pair for bold tropical flavors. With global influences, including flavors from the Caribbean and Southeast Asia, this recipe for rock shrimp coconut curry with mango-papaya salsa is the epitome of Florida summer dining.
Rock Shrimp Coconut Curry with Mango-Papaya Salsa
Rock Shrimp Coconut Curry
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, julienned
- 1 cup yellow squash, julienned
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- ½ cup mango chutney
- 1½ pounds rock shrimp, peeled
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ tsp. Thai red curry paste
- 2 tsp. parsley, chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add ginger, onion and julienned squash; sauté until soft.
- Stir in coconut milk, wine, turmeric and chutney; bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer sauce 5 to 6 minutes until shrimp are cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Stir in half-and-half, curry paste, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Heat through and serve with Florida Mango-Papaya Salsa (recipe below).
Florida Mango-Papaya Salsa
- 1 cup ripe papaya, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups ripe mango, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar, or more to taste
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl; chill.
- Toss together 5 minutes before ready to serve.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more lime juice and/or brown sugar as needed.
For more rock shrimp recipes, click here.
The official Chef of Florida, Justin Timineri, shares some of his recipes with us. A proponent of eating healthy, locally-grown and harvested produce and seafood, Timineri’s recipes imbue that Fresh From Florida flavor. For more on chef Justin, click here.
Recipes and images courtesy of Chef Justin Timineri and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. For more recipes coming from Timineri’s kitchen, click here.