One 9” flatbread dough (homemade – recipe below – or bought)
½ cup raw spinach, rough chopped
6 ounce jar marinated artichokes, drained and cut in ½ lengthwise
¼ cup roasted red pepper, diced
1 medium red onion
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
½ cup shredded cheese, Italian blend
¼ cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
Extra virgin olive oil for brushing
· Prepare pizza dough (follow pre-packaged instructions for baking). Set aside.
· Pre-heat oven to 550°.
· Cut red onion in ¼” thick rings. Preheat sauté pan with 1 teaspoon olive oil on medium heat and cook onions for 8 minutes, stirring frequently and separating rings. Add balsamic vinegar and stir and cook for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
· Place rolled-out dough on paddle and brush lightly with olive oil. Top dough with shredded cheese, distribute evenly. Sprinkle chopped spinach over cheese. Place cut artichokes over spinach. Sprinkle with diced red pepper. Lay out onion rings around flatbread. Top with crumbled cheese. Bake 6 to 8 minutes until crispy golden brown.
NOTE: If using pre-cooked dough, bake 3 to 4 minutes.
· Remove from oven, cut and serve hot.
FLATBREAD DOUGH RECIPE
1 cup water, warm to touch (110°F to 115°F)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
1½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup all purpose flour
1½ cup wheat flour
1 tablespoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Making the Dough:
· Mix warm water, yeast and sugar in a one-cup measure. Set aside until yeast is active and bubbles appear (about 5 minutes). Stir in oil.
· Combine flour, salt and pepper in another large bowl. Make a well in center. Stir in yeast mixture with wooden spoon. Stir to combine. Work dough with hands on a floured board, knead until smooth for 8-10 minutes, adding light amount of flour as necessary to keep dough from sticking to the board and your hands.
· Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and set aside in a draft-free warm place for one hour. Once doubled in size, punch dough down and cut into four equal pieces. Knead each dough piece into a tight ball on a floured board for one minute. Set on an oiled tray and refrigerate covered for 20 minutes or longer.
Cooking a Flatbread:
· Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Place baking stone on lowest rack and warm to 500°F.
· Flatten each dough ball into a six-inch disk then roll out on a lightly floured surface to desired thickness.
· Transfer dough to a lightly floured wood pizza paddle. Brush with extra virgin olive oil or roasted garlic paste. Lightly top the flatbread with herbs, veggies, cheese, etc. (less is more!)
· Carefully slide dough off paddle onto stone. Bake until crispy golden brown (about 4 minutes). Remove flatbread from stone with paddle. Cut and enjoy.
Courtesy of Seasons 52