Elizabeth Star, a 20-year Port Royal resident, is often seen around town attending many notable charity events. The soft-spoken philanthropist has served on a wide array of nonprofit boards and committees, as well as taken leadership roles on a number of fundraising events over the years. This year Star’s laser-like focus is squarely on the American Cancer Society and its efforts to stamp out the disease that has afflicted some of her family members and friends.
1. Designer she admires: Oscar de la Renta, his things are timeless, ultra-feminine, classic, yet modern.
2. Favorite musician: I have eclectic taste in music. I still love The Beatles and anything I can dance to.
Words to live by: Live in the moment; you never know what tomorrow will bring.
Green Garden, Carmen Herrera
© Carmen Herrera; Courtesy Lisson Gallery
Cup of Tea, Sabine Satur
Sabine satur; Courtesy Chetkin Gallery
3. Favorite artists: Sacha Sosno and Fernando Botero for their monumental larger-than-life sculptures, and Sabine Satur for her unbelievably realistic trompe l’oeil paintings. I also like artist Carmen Herrera, and recently saw her work at Art Basel.
4. Favorite fragrance: Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin
Best advice: “Grab life,” experience whatever you can.
5. Signature entertaining aesthetic: Masses of pink peonies or hot pink tulips and Georgian silver candlesticks.
6. Treasured books of the moment: The Lady in Gold by Anne-Marie O’Connor and The Hare With Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal. They are both about art, history, and the personal stories of the collectors.
7. Outdoor activity she loves: Swimming in clear, gorgeous water and fishing.
Best feeling in the world: To make someone happy by giving of yourself when it is least expected.
8. Favorite jewelry designer: Ruven Perelman of The Art Jewelry, Naples. His artistry, design, enamel work, and detail are unsurpassed.
Bleu Provence’s Persimmon and Scallop Carpaccio
Karl Rouwhorst of Luminaire Foto
9. Local restaurants she favors: Barbatella for grilled branzino, Campiello for the house salad and margherita pizza, and Bleu Provence for everything.
Sweet-tooth indulgence: Chocolate-peanut butter ice cream