Philip Douglas, the celebrity stylist-owner of eponymous Philip Douglas Beauty, is widely known for hair and makeup expertise. He recently won a U.S. competition to be the first American in 30 years to participate in the prestigious La Bioesthetique International Stylist of the Year Awards. Douglas also directs his passion toward supporting the Naples community. He spent more than a dozen years volunteering with the American Cancer Society’s Look Good, Feel Good program, for which he received the Hope Award. Earlier this year, Douglas and husband Doug Olsen received the Jim Dellas and Cheryl Deering Animaltarian Award for volunteer service with the Humane Society Naples.
1. Best local cultural attraction: Naples Philharmonic at Artis—Naples; however, it will always be “The Phil” to me. No matter what we are seeing, it is always a great experience.
2. Favorite designers: For men’s clothing, it’s Robert Godley, who designs Psycho Bunny; for women, Hedi Slimane for Saint Laurent.
3. Best locally made product: Norman Love chocolates. I am a chocoholic.
4. Favorite scent: Kilian Prelude to Love, Invitation
5. Treasured books: Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich, The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd, and Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynn Truss, a [funny] book about punctuation. I learned a lot about those little marks on paper.
6. Esteemed charity: The Humane Society Naples, a no-kill shelter, where Doug Olsen and I have chaired the annual tea for the last five years. We have four pups currently, and a total of seven adopted dogs from the HSN.
7. Favorite skin-care product: Borghese’s Fango Active Mud for Face and Body
8. Favorite Quote: “It’s the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter!” — Marlene Dietrich
9. Biggest obstacle he has overcome: I have always been very shy. I have read books, bought videos, and practiced in front of a mirror, studied other people, and then just go out there and do it!
10. Words to live by: Always be true to oneself.