Chef Rory Tierney | The Turtle Club
Hydroponic buttercrunch lettuce sprinkled with candied pecans and Gorgonzola crumbles, topped with slivered pears and tossed in a citrus vinaigrette.
Photography by Vanessa Rogers
Fresh Pear, Pecan & Gorgonzola Salad
- 1/2 head chopped hydroponic bibb lettuce (also known as buttercrunch lettuce)
- 2 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 oz. candied pecans
- 7-8 thinly sliced pieces of Bartlett pear
- 1 oz. citrus vinaigrette
To make candied pecans:
- Melt equal parts brown sugar and butter in saucepan to make caramel sauce.
- Add a dash of vanilla extract.
- Toss pecans in caramel sauce pan to coat.
- Brown pecans until toasted.
- Remove toasted pecans from pan and let cool.
To make citrus vinaigrette:
- Use 4 oz. of your favorite white balsamic vinaigrette
- Add 1-2 oz. of citrus juice (we use orange juice concentrate)
- Whisk together.
To put salad together:
- Mix citrus vinaigrette with lettuce and sliced pears.
- Arrange on plate and top with Gorgonzola cheese and candied pecans.
For more springtime salads, click here.