Watermelon and Shrimp Cocktail Skewers
Yields 4 servings
- ½ medium-sized watermelon, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 32 cubes)
- 32 large shrimp, cleaned, poached and chilled
- ½ bunch fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup rice vinegar (or mild-flavored vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 8 6-inch bamboo skewers
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and the peanut butter until completely blended. Add in the garlic, ginger and soy sauce until fully combined. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Pour most of the dressing over the shrimp, reserving some sauce for dipping. Chill marinated shrimp for 1 hour. To assemble, alternate shrimp, watermelon cubes and torn basil leaves on 8 skewers. Serve skewers with leftover sauce.
*Recipe and image courtesy of Chef Justin Timineri and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
About Chef Justin Timineri:
As the official State Chef of Florida, Justin Timineri is a proponent of Fresh From Florida commodities. A champion of locally-grown produce and fresh Florida harvested seafood, Timineri’s recipes are deep on invigorating, Sunshine State flavors, while embracing a healthy and well-balanced diet. To read more, click here.