As forecasts continue to push Isaac west, it looks like we are in the clear from at least a direct hit. This calls for some celebrating in the form of a few low-pressure themed cocktails. Enjoy!
Friday Happy Hour: Storm’s a Brewin’
Can’t have a hurricane party without a tropical depression first. There are quite a few cocktails bandying about this name but Bill’s Tropical Depression is the tastiest.
- 1 oz. Malibu Coconut Rum
- 1 oz. raspberry liqueur
- ½ oz. crème de banana
- 4 oz. pineapple juice
- ½ oz. orange juice
- ½ oz. cranberry juice
Mix all ingredients in a Collins glass. Shake well and serve with an orange wheel and cherry.
Saturday’s Forecast: Ginger Storm
Take it up a notch this Saturday and churn up a few Tropical Storms to pass the sure-to-be rainy weekend. Very similar to a personal favorite, the Dark & Stormy (who doesn’t like ginger beer?!), this sip cuts the ginger beer by half and throws in some pineapple juice to fill the void.
- 2 oz. dark rum (I’m partial to Kraken)
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup ginger beer
- 1 lime
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Fill a tall Collins glass with ice; add rum, juice and ginger beer. Give a quick stir, top with freshly squeezed lime juice and a few dashes of bitters. Cheers!
Sunday Funday: Big Easy Boozin’
The tropics are thoroughly whipped to a froth with Sunday Funday’s New Orleans style Hurricane. Remember, this thing packs a considerable punch.
- 2 oz. light rum
- 2 oz. dark rum
- 2 oz. passion fruit juice
- 1 oz. orange juice
- ½ oz. fresh lime juice
- ½ oz. simple syrup
- ½ oz. grenadine
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail tin filled with ice, shake. Strain into a Hurricane glass filled with ice; garnish with an orange wedge and cherry. Enjoy!
If you would like to nominate a cocktail recipe to appear in our latest series “Weekend Cocktails,” email the online editor here.
Tools of the Trade
Become a master mixologist, or at least look like one, with the tools that make the trade.
- Muddler: This little tenderizing stick is a godsend and a must for any home bar. If fruity cocktails are in your future, the muddler is the only way to unlock fruits’ flavor.
- Handheld Citrus Juicer: Nothing beats freshly squeezed juice, but it can be a pain. Invest in a handheld citrus juicer; they are cheap and do the trick tout de suite.
- Cocktail Shaker: Don’t be a chump stirring your martini like a noob; purchase a nice shaker and become a master home barkeep.
- Jigger: This little apparati will make mixing the perfect drink as easy as pie. It’s equipped with 1½ oz. and ¾ oz. cups for perfectly measured pours every time.
*Pictured available at Williams-Sonoma