For those in the know, Thanksgiving is nothing—nothing—without the stuffing. It’s the wind beneath the turkey’s wings. Here, we offer up a pecan-based ditty with a true Florida twist.
Savory Pecan Stuffing
- 1/2 pound spicy or sage breakfast-style ground sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 loaf of bread, cut into cubes (or cornbread equivalent)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Cook sausage and onion together until sausage is completely done.
- Drain well and set aside. Melt butter in a large skillet, and cook celery and garlic until tender. In large bowl add remaining ingredients, adding sausage and onions last.
- Mix together well and pour into a large baking dish. Bake at 350º for about 45 minutes.
The official chef of Florida, Justin Timineri, shares some of his recipes with us. A proponent of eating healthy, locally grown and harvested produce and seafood, Timineri creates recipes that imbue that Fresh From Florida flavor. For more on Chef Justin, click here.
Recipes and images courtesy of Chef Justin Timineri and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. For more recipes from Timineri’s kitchen, click here.