Whether one prefers to shop for choice ingredients to cook at home or dine out on a chef’s creation, Captain & Krewe, Naples, is one of several local spots that combine a restaurant with a well-stocked market. This month at the seafood shop, in addition to the fresh array of oysters and other fruits of the sea, shoppers and diners will be able to score stone crab claws when the season opens October 15.
Below, Chef Billy Hanzalik shares some of his recipes for sauces to make at home to complement oysters and crab claws.
Strawberry Cucumber Mignonette
- 8 ripe strawberries, finely diced
- ¼ seedless euro cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 pinches of black pepper
- ¾ cup honey apple vinegar
- 1 chopped shallot
Mix together to complete. Cover and chill for at least an hour, serve with raw oysters.
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil
Blend or whip first 7 ingredients together. Add olive oil in slowly while blending. Salt and pepper to taste. (Use this aioli in the next recipe. Also works great as a dip and a spread!)
Stone Crab and Endive Salad
- ½ lb. picked stone crab meat
- 1 bunch baby frisee – cleaned and chopped
- ½ pint yellow pear tomatoes – halved
- ½ pint red grape tomatoes – halved
- 1/8 cup chives – chopped
- 1 ripe mango – diced
- ¼ cup picked celery leaf
In large mixing bowl add all ingredients and delicately fold in 1/8 cup of the Citrus Aioli (see above recipe).