1. LIGHTEN UP: Consider a fresh coat of paint for the interior of your home, focusing on cool colors in soft hues. “If your walls were dark to start, this paint change will instantly brighten your place, take years off it, and cool it down,” says Minka McDonald, Jinx McDonald Interior Designs, who suggests combining light blues and soft grays.
2. BRING THE OUTDOORS IN: Step up your collection of seaside accessories to add a more relaxed feel to the home. McDonald suggests white clamshells, faux coral, mother-of-pearl–accented mirrors and frames, or hurricane lanterns with candles.
3. REFRESH WITH FLOWERS: Fresh-cut blooms, such as hydrangeas, tulips, and lilies, will liven up any room. Or, if you don’t want to change them out weekly, add new silk flower arrangements and place them in powder baths and nooks, and on coffee tables and side tables. “For me, florals make it feel like summer,” Bergmann says.
4. WAKE UP YOUR WINDOWS: Update or replace window treatments with fresh white or ivory sheer panels in a solid or subtle pattern, which instantly creates a coastal vibe along with understated elegance and romantic charm—perfect for our tropical climate, according to McDonald.
5. SET THE TABLE: Mix and match place mats, chargers, napkins, and napkin rings to make bold statements. “Use fun napkin rings with sunflowers, dragonflies, or ladybugs,” Bergmann suggests.