A Southern specialty, the fried grouper sandwich is pure comfort food delight.
Fried Grouper Sandwich
- 4 6 oz. Grouper fillets
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- Cornmeal for dredging the fish
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Beat eggs, salt and cayenne in a shallow dish. Place flour mixture and cornmeal in two shallow dishes.
- Dredge each fillet in flour mixture and dip in egg was. Dredge filets in cornmeal last.
- In a deep fry pan, heat 1-inch of oil to 375 degrees (deep-fat thermometer). Fry fillers in batches for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through.
- Transfer fillets to paper towels to drain. To serve, layer lettuce, sliced tomatoes and fillets on a potato roll.
For more Florida grouper recipes, click here.
The official Chef of Florida, Justin Timineri, shares some of his recipes with us. A proponent of eating healthy, locally-grown and harvested produce and seafood, Timineri’s recipes imbue that Fresh From Florida flavor. For more on chef Justin, click here.
Recipes and images courtesy of Chef Justin Timineri and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. For more recipes coming from Timineri’s kitchen, click here.