Do you dig on lobster mac’ and cheese? Looking for a twist on the decadent comfort food? This cheesy dish is a fresh take on a classic, but be forewarned: this is filling.
Rock Shrimp Cheese Strada
- 1 pound rock shrimp, peeled
- 6 slices whole-wheat white bread
- 3 tbsp. of butter, softened
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tsp. salt
- Add shrimp to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Spread butter on both sides of bread slices and then cut off the crusts.
- Place buttered bread in a greased 13×9-inch baking dish.
- On top of bread, layer in this order: rock shrimp, cheese and tomatoes.
- Combine eggs, half-and-half and salt.
- Mix well and pour over tomatoes.
- Cover casserole and chill overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
For more rock shrimp recipes, click here.
The official Chef of Florida, Justin Timineri, shares some of his recipes with us. A proponent of eating healthy, locally-grown and harvested produce and seafood, Timineri’s recipes imbue that Fresh From Florida flavor. For more on chef Justin, click here.
Recipes and images courtesy of Chef Justin Timineri and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. For more recipes coming from Timineri’s kitchen, click here.